Sunday, February 27, 2011

Be Careful What You Wish For

Oh how I wished she would sleep in more.
She sleeps in as long as we want now.

I wished she wouldn't fight me over what to wear.
Now, I can dress her in whatever I want.

I wished she would stay still while I did her hair.
She stays almost perfectly still now.

I wished she would not talk so much while I was on the phone.
She doesn't make a peep now.

I wished she would just keep her shoes, socks, and hair accessories intact while in the car.
She is perfectly assembled now.

I wished she wasn't such a wiggle worm in the bathtub while I was trying to wash her.
She lies perfectly still now.

I wished she would come, when I called her.
She's right there, anytime I need.

I wished she wouldn't act so crazy in a store.
She is perfectly quiet now.

I wished she would sit still on my lap, and cuddle.
We can cuddle all day, and night now.

I wished she wouldn't talk back.
She never utters a word now.

I wished she wouldn't play with her food, and would just eat it.
That's exactly what she does now.

I wished she wouldn't ignore us while company was over.
She is a perfect angel towards us now.

Don't get me wrong, we are enjoying all of the little 'perks,"

but would we trade them in a heartbeat?

YES, YES, YES, YES, YES, YES, YES, YES, YES, YES, YES, YES, YES, YES, YES, YES, YES

8 comments:

  1. Oh...wow...such a powerful message, a reminder to all of us "annoyed" and "impatient" moms out there. If the small annoyances that our children do on a daily basis were suddenly taken away - we would miss them. I remember that. After Audriana's accident, she was silent for so long. In the car, when she would usually chat away non stop and I would wish for just a 2 minute break, after her accident she would sit quietly and stare out of the window. When I would try to prompt her to talk, she would give me a one answer word - if that- and then go back to staring. I missed her voice so much, and wanted her constant chattering back.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your post just brought tears to my eyes and a dope smack to my head to not take the little things for granted and to cherish every moment.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a good reminder to all of us who lose our patient's so easily. I am so thankful for our loud, obnoxious, singing, wiggly, messy eating, milk spilling, greasy finger printers, couch leepers, stair jumpers and everything else they do that temporarily annoys us, kids. I had cold chills reading your post. Thank you for sharing, we do have to be careful what we wish for.
    Deanna

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is one of my favorite, or should I say memorable, sayings. You never know how your wish may come back to you, but twisted. I have heard many people experience the same fate. Makes you not want to wish on a star anymore.

    But again you have fulfilled your Purpose.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh Jen. I'm so sorry. If only we could both get what we wanted. I love you but wish like hell we never would have become friends (and I know you "get" that, lol). I love you and your strength continues to amaze me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I wish I could reach out and give you a big hug. :( Love you guys.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for the beautiful post. You are in my daily prayers and serve as a constant reminder that I can be a better mother. You will never know what a blessing you are to this St. Louis Guat Mom.

    I love the photos of Rainy!

    Terri, Flora's Mom

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes yes yes yes yes. Maybe can I borrow this for my blog sometime?

    ReplyDelete